[Greenbuilding] Jevon and plumbers (was Re: Energy Star Clothes Dryers Program Launch)

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Mon Jul 30 09:52:53 CDT 2012

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:23:56 -0400, Clarke Olsen <colsen at fairpoint.net>
wrote:

> Time again to remember Jevon's Paradox: the more efficiently something
> is used, the more we will use.

Pwah!  I say the same thing to Jevon as I would to the plumber who told my
nieghbour

    " ... if  your well is drilled the chances of it going dry are slim to
nil
      but dug  wells go dry"

To both, I would say   "Horse-puck hockey !"

As a "for instance"...

The sole auxiliary heat source for my home (other than occupancy gains)
has always been a woodstove.

In the days before EPA-approved designs existed, I had a down-draft unit
which implemented secondary combustion. While it was a darned impressively
efficient unit, the smalled EPA woodstove that I replaced it with after
over 20 years of service has turned out to be even more efficient.

The net result is that I use less firewood per heating season as compared
to the older less efficient woodstove and there would be no point in using
the stove any more than it is used now because the house would overheat.

Okay. Another example just came to me.

My newest car is much more fuel-efficient than my previous vehicle but I
put fewer miles on the newer car simply because I use my bicycles more
than I used to.

I could probably think of more examples but I learned long ago to not
believe anything a plumber tells me and I think that I'll add this "Jevon"
character to my $#!+ list of "Don't believe 'em-ers"

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")