[Greenbuilding] Jevon's and plumbers

Paul M. Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 30 18:43:49 CDT 2012

Hi David,

I haven't been able to confirm this elsewhere, but I've read on one site that "very early tube TVs from the 1950s produced (sic) well over 400 watts" (source: http://www.ehow.com/info_7795151_hd-tvs-vs-older-tvs.html).  Today, a 42-inch Panasonic TC-L42D30 consumes just 91-watts.

Hoping for something even better?  The LG 47-inch  LCD HDTV reportedly consumes just 28-watts (source: http://www.electronichouse.com/article/lg_display_offering_worlds_most_energy-efficient_47-inch_lcd_hdtv/).

Cheers,
Paul

>I think Jevon's Paradox gets overquoted and
>overestimated as an anti-efficiency tactic. While
>there's no doubt it exists to a degree, I believe
>most studies have shown that the increases in
>usage are not larger than the gains in efficiency.
>
>I know I've read several such articles recently,
>but can't put my finger on them. Anyone recall?
>
>And I think a major exception cited is
>televisions, where they've become more
>energy-efficient but they've also gotten much
>larger. But you can argue that there are two
>separate factors at work there. Similarly for refrigerators.
>
>David
>David Bergman  RA   LEED AP
>DAVID BERGMAN ARCHITECT / FIRE & WATER LIGHTING + FURNITURE
>architecture . interiors . ecodesign . lighting . furniture
>bergman at cyberg.com    www.cyberg.com
>241 Eldridge Street #3R, New York, NY 10002
>t 212 475 3106    f 212 677 7291
>
>author - Sustainable Design: A Critical Guide
>blog - www.EcoOptimism.com
>adjunct faculty - Parsons The New School for Design
>
>>Time again to remember Jevon's Paradox: the more
>>efficiently something is used, the more we will use.
>>
>>Clarke Olsen
>>clarkeolsendesign.com
>>373 route 203
>>Spencertown, NY 12165