[Greenbuilding] Office Buildings as Peaker Plants

Richard Garbary richard6 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 16:19:26 CDT 2012

An excerpt from this site:

http://www.ailr.com/water_heater_control.htm

"The high morning demand is caused by the lower elements of the water
heaters.  For most homes, the water heater will be full of hot water
when the residents arise.  The heavy use of hot water in the morning
will cause all the lower elements (and a few of the upper elements) to
turn on at about the same time.  Since the lower element is typically
4.5 kW, the electrical demand is very high.

However, very few homes need a 4.5 kW lower element to prevent
hot-water run-outs.  While the upper element must have a high wattage
to meet short but high levels of hot water use, the lower element
operates more as a "baseload" heat source.  Its wattage should more
closely match the energy needed for water heating averaged over 24
hours.  For many homes, a 700 watt to 1,500 watt lower element is
adequate.

If homes had lower wattage lower elements, the morning peak for the
water heating load would be smaller.  The problem, however, it that it
is difficult to know which homes need a high-wattage lower element and
which will be happy with a lower wattage element.  Our controller
solves this problem by reducing the 15-minute average power to the
lower element to the lowest value that avoids excessive operation of
the upper element (i.e., it avoids hot-water run-outs)."