[Greenbuilding] Jevon's and plumbers

Jason Holstine jason at amicusgreen.com
Mon Jul 30 15:38:35 CDT 2012

I can attest to that. A few years ago we got new service that required a
set-top box that could not be turned off‹hitting Power Off didn¹t actually
turn the thing off (b/c the box wants to keep getting the data feed from the
node). Threw a kill-a-watt on there and found each box sucking 40 watts ‹
24/7/365.  I calculated that to be costing me about $3.50/mo since we have 3
TVs. I threw a Smart Strip power strip on each set-up, so whenever we turn
the TV off, the strip cuts off the peripherals as it they¹re being
unplugged.  When it comes back on it takes about a minute for the box to
reboot‹a pain in the rear to be sure‹but worth it as far as I¹m concerned.
Talk about vampire load.

I believe Energy Star is now unveiling a label for set-top boxes which has
the potential to be a huge difference maker.  But you¹ll need to see if your
cable provider has the new boxes and will swap them out.