[Greenbuilding] Office Buildings as Peaker Plants

Richard Garbary richard6 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 16:02:19 CDT 2012

A new paradigm or an adjunct to the existing TOU paradigm:  Rates
based on total daily usage and  hourly peaks.

Examples (Off the top of my head...not fleshed out...:

Rate 1. Daily Total <10 Kwh, Maximum 1 hour peak of 1 Kwh (electric
dryers...I don't think so!)
Rate 2. Daily Total <20 Kwh, Maximum 1 hour peak of 2 Kwh
Rate 3. Daily Total <30 Kwh, Maximum 1 hour peak of 3 Kwh
And so on.

If you exceed either of the limits in a Rate, you are kicked up to the
next Rate. OUCH!

I'm sure there are many ways to slice and dice this paradigm to
encourage consumption flatness.

Here are some of my daily charts:

http://flatteningthecurve.wordpress.com/