[Greenbuilding] Heretics, Himatics, everywhere a tic-tic

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Tue Jun 5 12:50:55 CDT 2012

I saw a string of messages in the mailbox from AA-Man, the Brooklyn New
Yawk guy (can't remember name at moment sorry) and Reuben ... talking
about lowering expectations (for comfort) and thereby improving
sustainability.

I don't have a problem with that.

However if we are talking Green Building, then I'd say at the design stage
when one is modeling performance, it would be preferable to raise the bar
on expectations (and the corollary to that is increasing the anal
retentiveness co-efficient ("ARc" in technical terms or "pucker factor in
laywoman's terms) to very high levels ... levels to which one might aspire
rather than to levels which one is currently settling for.

That should result in a building whose life-cycle cost is minimised so
that it will outperform anyone's expectations.

The "lowering of expectations" aspect should be the role of the occupant
(IMOOC  -- "In My Opinion Of Course").

They should be the ones who make the lifestyle choices that would reduce
energy consumption within the building that is designed to be very
low-energy to begin with.

ie If a building is designed to make it through the seasons with minimal
energy consumption for space heating/cooling, lighting, ventilation,
domestic hot water heating, refrigeration etc. at standard indoor design
temperature and reduced water consumption, then if the occupants make a
decision to lower their expectations for comfort below that which is
recommended by the lab rats at ASHRAE and are willing to expend the
physical effort to replace some of the tasks currently performed by
electro-mechanical slaves, then as Archie Bunker would say,
"Whoop-Dee-Doo!" -- it's all good.

The problem is getting First Worlders to make those lifestyle changes. ie
Give up the dishwashing machine. Forego the air-conditioner. Skip the
twice-daily long, hot showers. Walk or bicycle instead of drive. You're
likely to be met with a "Are you nuts ??? Why would I do that ? I can
afford these things. "

OTOH, if one lowers expectations at the design stage, all one gets is what
is currently being cranked out by the McBuilders of the McCrackerboxes by
the gazillions.

Non ?

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")