[Greenbuilding] Heretics, Himatics, everywhere a tic-tic

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 13:00:34 CDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM, RT <archilogic at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> The problem is getting First Worlders to make those lifestyle changes. ie
> Give up the dishwashing machine. Forego the air-conditioner. Skip the
> twice-daily long, hot showers. Walk or bicycle instead of drive. You're
> likely to be met with a "Are you nuts ??? Why would I do that ? I can
> afford these things. "

Yeah, well, you do make a good point. What is up with the First Worlders
and their entitlement thinking?!

Another variant I suppose would be to be more explicit about identifying
the tradeoffs, the material and energy consequences of all this
automation--call the First World Entitled folks out on their wussiness.

E.g.,
+ Building X, which is set up for the
Entitled-Who-Love-Automation-And-Creature-Comforts, and uses very little
energy and requires ___ tons of planet to construct & maintain, vs.
+ Building Y, which is calibrated to
Occupants-Less-Encumbered-By-A-Narrow-Band-Of-Acceptable-Conditions, and
requires ___ tons of planet to construct & maintain.