[Greenbuilding] heretical observation

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Wed Jun 6 11:10:54 CDT 2012

On 6/5/2012 3:49 PM, Reuben Deumling wrote:
> There are a bunch of attempts to calculate what we might call _bicycling
> mpg _for short.
> Here's one
> http://truecostblog.com/2010/05/27/fuel-efficiency-modes-of-transportation-ranked-by-mpg/

Yes, I created one for this list a number of years ago.

> Where I'd differ with you, Corwyn, is that the differential between what
> we eat anyway, and what we eat if we sit on a pedal powered machine is
> the relevant quantity.

Yes, that is the relevant quantity.  I understood, and accounted for that.

> Those extra calories or BTUs I think we are able
> to convert into electricity at better rates than your 10:1 ratio suggests.

How?  The extra food you eat is somehow less energy intensive?  The 10:1
ratio comes from the food before it gets to you.  If you still think you
have a way to get better rates, please post the equations, because I
don't get it.

> Besides, even though my electricity comes from wind turbines I've wanted
> to power my fridge with a pedal generator for longer than I've been a
> member of this greenbuilding list. BTUs are only one parameter. And we
> grow our own veggies!

As long as you realize that is like wanting a Hummer to drive 1 person
around on the highway.  If you put a PV panel where those veggies are,
you would be able to power your fridge 20+ times more efficiently.  Grow
veggies to feed you; generate electricity in the most efficient manner
possible.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--