[Greenbuilding] Central vs window AC

nick pine nick at early.com
Fri Jun 8 12:25:57 CDT 2012

 John Straube writes:

>... consider the humidity. At night, since it cools down, the RH rises.
>Flooding a house with 68F/80-90%RH air loads the house up with vapor in all
>the drywall, wood, furnishings.  The next morning even if the temperature
>stays low (say 76 or 78) the RH in the house will be uncomfortably high.
>If you have more mass (lots of exposed concrete ceilings for example) the
>concrete stays cool enough that you can get condensation on the ceiling. I
>have seen this happen in old masonry warehouses .

To me, smart ventilation considers absolute humidity, with ventilation only
on cool dry nights when the result would be comfortable. Flooding a house
with dry air can store dryness in the same way that thermal mass can store
coolth. Concrete absorbs 1% of its weight by moisture as the RH rises from
40 to 60%.

Nick