[Greenbuilding] eco glue

Tim Vireo Keating t.keating at rainforestrelief.org
Sat Mar 17 19:55:52 CDT 2012

Not to mention using mahogany!! I sure hope it's reclaimed!

tim keating

At 2:40 PM -0400 3/16/12, RT wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 21:25:35 -0400, Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn
><info at ecobrooklyn.com> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have suggestions for an eco glue to adhere mahogany
>>flooring to mass loaded vinyl
>

>It seems more than a little incongruous to be seeking an "eco glue"
>to adhere something to vinyl.
>"Vinyl" = poly vinyl chloride  (PVC)
>
>It's akin to asking about a gentle hair conditioner for bubonic
>plague-carrying rats isn't it ?
>
>http://www.healthybuilding.net/pvc/facts.html
>http://www.acereport.org/pvc2.html
>
>=============== Copied material==================
>( from  http://www.ase.tufts.edu/gdae/Pubs/rp/Economics_of_PVC_revised.pdf
>)
>

>	"PVC poses hazards to human health over the course of its life cycle.
>	 PVC production exposes workers and communities to vinyl chloride and
>other toxic substances.
>	 PVC products such as medical equipment and children's toys can leach
>toxic additives during their useful life.
>	Vinyl building materials release hydrochloric acid fumes if they catch
>fire, and burning PVC creates byproducts including dioxin, a potent
>carcinogen.
>
>========== End of copied material ===========
>
>About 15 or 20 years ago PVC was banned in a number of European
>countries, labelling it as an "Environmental Toxin" (a bit strong
>perhaps but nevertheless...).
>
>NASA banned its use at least that long ago claiming that the
>off-gassed vinyl chloride gummed-up their sensitive instrumentation.
>
>I don't know how many books and films  PVC has been slammed in over
>the years (including Wayne Grady's "Green Home" (1993)) and "Blue
>Vinyl" http://www.bluevinyl.org ).
>
>So, one of course does wonder why one would make a conscious
>decision to include vast amounts of PVC into the indoor environment
>of an aspiring "eco" home ?
>
>Aside from the "eco" aspect...
>
>Silicone caulking sticks to just about any material. Ever notice
>what material they use to make the tube from which silicone caulking
>is dispensed ? Uh huh. And why ? Because (almost) nothing sticks to
>it.
>

>--
>=== * ===
>Rob Tom
>Kanata, Ontario, Canada
>
>< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
>(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")

"The Earth and myself are of one mind. The measure of the land and the
measure of our bodies are the same..."
     	                               - Hinmaton Yalatkit, Nez Perce chief

R   A   I   N   F   O   R   E   S   T        R   E   L   I   E   F

Sparing  the  World's  Rainforests  from  Consumption

Rainforest Relief works to protect the world's remaining tropical
and temperate rainforests by reducing the demand for the products
and materials of rainforest destruction such as timber and paper,
industrial agricultural products such as bananas, beef, coffee,
chocolate and cut flowers, and mining products
such as oil, gold and aluminum.

New York, NY: (917) 543-4064
Portland, OR: (503) 236-3031
http://www.rainforestrelief.org
info at rainforestrelief.org
Church Street Station * PO Box 298 * NY, NY 10008-0298