[Greenbuilding] lighting

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 21 11:41:29 CDT 2012

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 00:20:50 -0400, Bruno M. <brunom1 at telenet.be> wrote:

> Is it really green to install plants in a cellar or other dark interior,
> and then waste ( ecological) expensive electric energy to keep them
> alive ?

Here in Canada we call such installations "Basement Grow-ops" and they are
enough of a problem that CMHC produced a report (sometime within the past
3 years IIRC) on how to deal with the damage wreaked upon buildings by
such. (ie seething mould infestations, moisture-damaged materials,
dangerous electrical configurations ...)

In answer to Bruno's question I would say "No" and would say that the
attitude of such an installation might be:

	"I don't care if it is Green or not just so long as it has enough trendy
bells and whistles to give it an appearance of Greenishness."

If we're still talking about the proposed "Living Wall" perhaps it would
better be described as

   "Wall on energy-intensive, artificial life support"

Buzzzzz, whrrrrr, click... Press "1" for "Send", press "2" for "Do not
send", press "3" to end.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")