[Greenbuilding] lighting

Bruno M. brunom1 at telenet.be
Tue Mar 20 23:20:50 CDT 2012

I agree Alan,
and another aspect is also important,
you don't just need light so the people can see the plants but
you want to mimic the sun for the plants, so they can grow;
therefor you need a (mix of) specific light ' color' or wavelengths,
if you get a T 5 with the good light spectrum for plant growth,
and you dim it let say 50%, whats really left then ?
50% of the energy consumption/hour, yes, but has it still 50% of lumen
output?
And has it still the good color temperature / usefull wavelenghts ? (i
doubt it)
Therefor it looks better to switch on & off what you need during the day
( probably depending on natural solar light influx.

And to for-come the need to install more fixtures ( more $ to work &
material)
instead of 5 x 100W with dimmers you may choose 2 x 250W +3 x 50W
or such a combination.

I don't know the latest on LEDS, can you have 'm with the right
colortemp to server as grow light,
apears as some kind of white to people and with enough lumen?
I found some info but most people don't want to sit in red or other
colored light:
www.ledgrowlights.info/LED-light-wavelengths.php

A rhetoric question for that client : Is it really green to install
plants in a cellar or other dark interior,
and then waste ( ecological) expensive electric energy to keep them alive ?

Grts
Bruno M.