[Greenbuilding] Thought: Maintenance

J M Alden speireag at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 21:55:09 CDT 2012

On 2012/03/24 21:04 PM, Corwyn wrote:

> I appreciate all the helpful thoughts. But, this is a problem I am trying to solve for more than just me. I know that while people will change their furnace filter (once a year), they will pretty much never change the anode in their hot water tank. I am not sure even a reminder would get the last done, as it never even done once.

	Well, what is the difference between the filter and the anode, other than frequency?  If it's merely frequency, then an annual reminder should do it, as long as there's a notation to permit the owner-operator to disregard the reminder in off years.  If it's not getting done, then either the reminder system is broken, or something else it at work.

	In the particular case of anodes, I have anecdote (anodata?).  I tried to get at my anode to check it, but the tank design foiled me.  I went to my local building supply, pure of heart and with noble intention, to find out how to check the anode.  They said that if I had good water (which I do), then the anode probably would not need replacing for the life of the tank, and that no one ever changed them, and the tanks lasted a long time anyway.  So few people renew their anodes around here, apparently that even the building supply which caters to local builders doesn't stock them.  They're a specialty item which they have to order.

	That, and the prospect of digging through the insulation around my tank, dissuaded me from replacing it.  I have enough on my plate as it is, and perhaps I'll learn my lesson when my tank fails.  When that happens, I'll be more sanguine about dissecting it, the better to maintain the next one.

-Speireag.

--
Socrates gave no diplomas or degrees, and would have subjected any disciple who demanded one to a disconcerting catechism on the nature of true knowledge.
--G. M. Trevelyan