[Greenbuilding] Pest Management, mice in particular

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Fri May 4 13:39:53 CDT 2012

------- Forwarded message -------
From: "Sacie Lambertson"

  Unfortunately the powder to detect foot prints won't work in our case.
Our mice enter through some minute hole in our standing seam metal roof,
entry point unknown.

===================

It could work if you devised a way to suspend a board from the fascia,
just under the edge of the roofing (ie placed on top of eaves trough
perhaps ?)

Just keep moving the board along the length of the trough each night until
footprints appear.

However without even looking at the situation my first guess (if they are
in fact getting in through the roofing rather than the soffit) is at the
end of the standing seam if the panels are the snap-together, pre-formed
panel type as opposed to the "real" standing seam roofing that is formed
on site with wooden battens at the seams.

The ends of the seams should either be have a sheet metal cap to close off
the end of the "ridge". With real standing seam panels, the ends of the
pans would have been folded under to lock onto clips or flashing
underneath and the ends of the standing seams folded to form an integral
cap.

The other place I would suspect is the other end, at the top where the
ridge cap meets the standing seam panel.  Again, with real standing seam
panels, there would have been a fold-locked joint where the ridge cap and
roof panels meet. With the pre-formed, snap-together panels, the ridge cap
may simply be lapped over the end of the roofing panel and held down with
screws leaving a small gap in the area between adjacent standing seams
where the ridge cap meets the ribs of the roof panel.

--
=== * === AOD257
Rob Tom

< A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot c a >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")