[Greenbuilding] electric grills feedback

sat jiwan ikle-khalsa satjiwan_khalsa at hotmail.com
Sun May 13 22:37:19 CDT 2012

...following up on a conversation from April 2011, on ways to get/stay off (fracked) natural gas...
(see: http://lists.bioenergylists.org/pipermail/greenbuilding_lists.bioenergylists.org/2011-April/001239.html )

anybody have recommendations about electric grills?  specifically i'm trying to get
something for my parents, but also for general reference:  to encourage more outdoor cooking in cooling season, not use
charcoal, gas or propane and utilize the windpower electricity they
have.  i've found a mix of options, all are standard outlet compatible
(max ~1500w) so i think can't do enough output to compare with a medium
sized fuel grill, but should be fine for smaller cooking efforts.
 prices are $100ish - $1000ish.

-ideally would like to hear
personal experience... or maybe i should just take a chance on a (used?)
cheaper model to see how they work.

three styles i'm looking at are: (but hard to tell much about function online...)
- Weber Q 240 Electric Grill - $279 http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12620209
- Kenyon series - $1200 http://www.amazon.com/Floridian-Portable-Electric-Concealed-Elements/dp/B005OW2Z7K/ref=sr_1_5?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1336662425&sr=1-5
- Electri-Chef - $800+ http://www.electricfireplacesdirect.com/products-accessories/Table-Top-Portable-Electric-Grills/Electri-Chef-Safire-Electric-Grill-Stainless-Steel

note:
 we don't grill much to begin with, so can probably be satisfied with
less than stellar performance. but purchasing a quality unit is
important.
I've been recommended Weber as a brand better than others for standard grills, which may hold true for their electric offerings.

ps. my portable induction cooktops and small/fancy
 convection electric toaster ovens have allowed me to get off gas at my house
entirely this past year, and do more cooking on my porch in summer and
inside rest of the year.  and gain more counter and storage space in the
 kitchen by removing a full sized oven/range.  (in my case, we're using biomass pellet stove for heating, we line dry, and have solar hotwater with electric backup... so our last gas appliance was the stove. and we were paying $10/month hook up fee just to purchase $1-3 of gas per month. so save ~$100/yr by canceling gas altogether.

-Sat Jiwan
Takoma Park, MD, USA