[Greenbuilding] experience with cork flooring?

George Tremblay gtremblay at antioch.edu
Fri Nov 2 11:43:50 CDT 2012

My wife and I are considering cork flooring for a kit/dining/living room.
We're drawn to the claimed environmental sustainability of cork, along with
its comfort and texture/appearance.

I'm interested in informed comments about cork's "green" credentials, and
especially about its durability in a high traffic area.

Potential for spillage has me worried about using the floating planks,
which are ~.25" of cork glued to a fiberboard (water absorbent!) core - can
the seams be sealed well enough to protect against damaging moisture
intrusion? Alternative appears to be glue-down tiles (on a new Advantech
subfloor).  How refinishable/replaceable?

Thanks,
George Tremblay
Troy, NH