[Greenbuilding] experience with cork flooring?

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 2 13:08:19 CDT 2012

Veneer products over particle board (clik floors) are a tough one. They are
designed as disposable products in comparison to traditional flooring
materials. On the plus side within a factory environment they can be
efficient with materials (including binders and finishes). They are also
efficient in terms of site resources (labour, etc.) On the down side they
typically look like shit in 5 years. Cork tends to look better longer
because its quite neutral and doesn't show wear as much.

Typical good practice is that if you put that style of floor down you put an
extra coat of finish to fill seams and add some life expectancy.

I would look at solid cork tile and if you have local sustainable solid wood
flooring available (alder, maple, birch, etc.) I would seriously consider
recommend it as an option. Solid cork tile is very comfortable, durable and
people tend to like it for maintenance.