[Greenbuilding] Baseboard Radiators

Joe Killian kaa-ajk at sonic.net
Sat Nov 3 01:58:15 CDT 2012

   I've lived with oil, gas and electric forced air, steam radiators,
hydronic heated slabs, electric baseboards, and hydronic baseboard heating.
   Hydronic baseboard heating is my choice hands down.  Quiet,
comfortable, no drafts, no fan noise or blowing dust all around.
Building now and putting hydronic baseboards in again, third time.
Because the heat is at the outside walls, there are fewer cold surfaces
to feel inside - we find we are very comfortable with the temperature 5F
to 10F below normal heated temps, like 65-70F.
   The boiler is important.  My choice today is a high-efficiency gas
boiler (propane in my case - way off grid).  Exhaust flue is a piece of
PVC - a clue to the high efficiency.
   Important to do a well-designed system.  Google John Siegenthaler for
one source of many good articles on how to do it right.
   Joe