[Greenbuilding] multi-splits

Sacie Lambertson sacie.lambertson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 08:37:29 CST 2012

What I would like to see here is a good discussion on the merits of using a
minisplit.  We use wood for heating primarily (backed up by radiant floor
heated by a gas fired DHW), but as we age, the idea of a mini-split
possibility is intriguing.

That said, as to your point, Clarke:

Kansans, in spite of a history of real progressiveness, have really
reverted to a shameful point of view.  On that I totally agree.  We live in
a rural area that buys its electricity from a larger nearby source; we
obviously pay a surcharge for this.  Moreover, in their greater wisdom, our
local supplier, a coop, charges more for people like us who use less.  The
more you use, the cheaper it is---- go figure.  There is a certain amount
of backward thinking here.

A USG site says this:

*Nebraska is the only state that generates electricity entirely by
publicly-owned power systems.  As of 2010, the statewide average price for
all sectors from all electric utilities is the ninth-lowest rate in the
country, based on the latest federal figures.  Nationally, electricity
costs 31 percent more than it does in Nebraska.  Across all sectors, Hawaii
has the highest electricity rate (25 cents), and Wyoming has the lowest
electricity rate (6.20 cents).---National average is 9.83.*