[Greenbuilding] multi-splits

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Nov 9 07:38:57 CST 2012

Hi Sacie,

We have a forty-four year old, 2,500 sq. ft. Cape Cod that we've
upgraded over the years, and virtually all of our space heating
requirements are met by two high efficiency, inverter-drive ductless
heat pumps [in the event of an extended power cut, we operate our
oil-fired boiler on generator power].  Both heat pumps are monitored and
so far this heating season they've consumed a combined total of 120.5
kWh, or $16.63 at 13.8-cents per kWh.

October's mean temperature was 10.5C, and nine days into November, the
current month stands at 6.3C.  We have little passive solar gain to
speak of, so we're pretty much dependent upon this one heat source to
carry the full load.

BTW, in another thread there had been suggestion that our new heat pump
water heater would consume **TWICE** as much electricity as the
conventional electric tank it replaced.  Well, our HPWH has been
operational for twenty-five days now, and during this time has consumed
42.23 kWh, or an average of 1.69 kWh a day.  However, it has offset
approximately 80 hours of our dehumidifier's runtime, which has in turn
eliminated about 40 kWh of electrical demand (the outdoor relative
humidity as I type this is 100 per cent).  In effect, our Nyle is
supplying us with "free" hot water.  It does steal heat from a
conditioned space, but the heat that is sacrificed for DHW purposes is
supplied by our ductless heat pumps at roughly one-third the cost of
electric resistance or oil.

Cheers,
Paul