[Greenbuilding] Insulation fasteners

Rob Dickinson robd at pobox.com
Thu Nov 15 13:55:13 CST 2012

We used the FastenMaster Headlok screws to go through 1x4 cedar furring
strips, 4" of polyiso rigid foam (2 x 2" layers), 1/2" of Zip System Panels
exterior sheathing, 1" old lap siding.   We used their 8-1/2" screws to go
2" into the studs.

The screws were expensive, but worked great.

Rob

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM, John Straube <jfstraube at gmail.com> wrote:

>  What do I think is incorrect and misleading? For a start
> 1. long screws are structural.
> 2. you cannot screw a long screw into an assembly without torqueing off
> the head
> 3. you cant find #10 screws in long lengths
> 4. fastening is the over riding cost for attaching foam through furring to
> wood frame walls
>
> How does this impede progress?
> A major improvement in durability and energy performance can be achieved
> by applying exterior insulation to wood and steel framed buildings.
> Unfounded or out-of-context statements like 1 thru 4 cause people to not
> attempt this technique. They dont even try.  Once someone builds a few
> houses, often just part of a single one, it becomes clear that 1 to 4 are
> not true.  I have seen this happen repeatedly over the last decade. People
> in workshops, seminars, conferences, and design offices regularily say
> these things (another common one is "a few screws cant hold up "heavy"
> siding like fibre cement).  I have been showing case studies and doing
> demonstrations for more than 10 years to answer these types of questions.
> When people actually get around to trying this, wether architect, code
> official, contractor, trade, or home handyman, those objections go away.
> Because they are not true. This is the reason I care so much about the
> topic and why it frustrates me.
>
> This thread was not about EIFS.  It was about Bill Allens question on
> fastening foam and furring to walls.  I mention EIFS and roofing since they
> make and use the fasteners required for attach foam. You dont need washers
> when attaching wood furring through foam.  So dont buy the washer.  Hence
> the prices I quoted are valid. You can try and use adhesives for attaching
> siding to a wall, but I dont think it will work, and wont comment further
> till I try it.
>
> Fewer large and more expensive screws at wider spacings can work to hold
> up the cladding, but the suction wind loads tend to cause the furring strip
> (1x3 and 1x4) to fail in bending between widely spaced screws.  You dont
> need a big screw for spacings  of 2 to 3 square feet of area.  Once you go
> beyond that, you get to vertical spacings of 24 to 36" (and yes 1/4" and
> 5/16" dia screws are needed at that spacing) but then the suction loads of
> the cladding cause 1x furring to fail in bending.  So you would have to use
> 2x furring.  Technically fine (36"x24" spacings of 5/16" screws will work)
> but the cost and resource use of 2x3 or 2x4 furring tends to argue against
> it.
>
> Again, I want to emphasize, furring strips through 2, 3, 4" and more of
> foam has been done in dozens of states and many provinces on hundreds of
> projects (that I know about, likely much much more) and this is no more,
> often less, challenging than figuring out how to attach drywall to
> framing.  The ONLY thing that is difficult to do is find the screws at a
> [...]

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all
the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends
I want to see." — John Burroughs (1837-1921) American naturalist, writer