[Greenbuilding] Insulation fasteners

Eli Talking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Sun Nov 18 18:14:53 CST 2012

This issue is of interest to me.

I installed 3/4”x3” osb furring strip over 3” iso boards over existing plywood siding.  I had Z shaped metal flashing installed at the bottom that provided rodent protection and temporary support for the foam during assembly.  The foam joints were sealed with acoustic caulk.

I did have trouble with using 10 X 6 Drywall Screws / Fine / Phillips on the first part of the project which was installing 3”iso boards below a cathedral ceiling.  Perhaps the problem was the fine threads that maybe are intended for sheet metal.  However, we had difficulty getting them to penetrate the wood and maintain the Phillips head without stripping.  Suggested by this list, I learned about the bugle head GKR fasteners.  I absolutely love these fasteners.  They always penetrate and very seldom strip. I would like to test some alternatives.  However, since they have to be ordered in bulk, this is hard to do.  Maybe the thicker thread sheetrock screw would work. However, John Straub, I am hearing you about the cost of the structural fasteners.  Can you identify the screws you like?

However, on the exterior, I was less conservative on the spacing, 4 per 8’ vertical.  I analyze it like this.  For the paneling mounted on furring strips to sag, they must rotate with fulcrum at plane where screw enters the wood below foam.  In order to do this, they must compress the foam horizontally.  Like a footing, the  weight of the structure should be divided by area furring strip to determine if within compressive strength of foam which is specified by manufacturer.

I am moving forward on a new project where I want all the insulation to be achieved with the exterior mounted eps foam.  I found a source of eps that is as low a price as fiberglass/sf R.  Therefore, I do not want to ues the framing as the thermal barrier.  Since it is new construction, I can support most of the foam vertically be setting on the termite-rodent shield-flashing setting on the foundation.  I am considering using a 2x3 for furring of the drain-dry plain to give real wood for mounting finishes.  Perhaps this thicker furring strip will allow me to use fewer expensive structural fasteners.  Because of the long screws this will require, I was looking at the possibility of accurately pre-drilling pilot holes with drill press in a shop such that if accurately located furring on house, the screw will maintain a perfect perpendicular axis and find the stud.  I did have the issue this issue of finding the rafters on my ceiling mounted hand drilled installations.  On exterior mounted insulation, I had original 3/4” plywood that gave plenty of grip where ever I drilled.

Eli