[Greenbuilding] Outgassing of Sheathing & Insulation fasteners

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 28 12:59:17 CST 2012

On the bracing. Sheathing as part of a shear wall is probably the simplest, effective and cost effective way of bracing. It also forms one layer of weather resistance protecting the structure.

You don’t however need to sheath a whole building – just those portions identified as providing shear structure for the building.  Depending on the building this could be a 1/3 of the exterior walls. The problem though is if some future resident wants to put a big window in a shear wall...

Quite a while ago I researched cross strapping (flat strap x bracing) for lateral strength and did not emerge with a warm fuzzy feeling of confidence. To cross brace effectively you really need to design for it well from foundation connections through to top plate – which becomes the equivalent of designing shear walls into a structure. At that point it is more cost effective to simply sheath a 6 or 8 ft section of wall as a shear wall as the ply cost will be less than cost of strapping and gussets. Getting an engineer to design a shear wall is cheap in comparison to a moment frame (like getting a fancy chef to make a hamburger)

Now my Japanese framing manual is very thorough on wood bracing and gives me a higher level of confidence (mostly aesthetic). Unfortunately we can’t afford to spend that kind of time on structural, though it would be nice.

On the outgassing. Prior to good availability of NAUF (no added urea formaldehyde) plywoods we typically used exterior rated plywood in interiors as it primarily used phenolic formaldehyde adhesives which were more water resistant. They are more stable therefore are not as prone to outgassing and are considered ‘acceptable’ for very low levels of emissions in comparison to conventional interior plywoods. I ordered my first lift load of no formaldehyde cabinet ply 30 years ago but it became increasingly difficult to obtain in following decades.

Basically most ‘domestic’ plywood uses phenolic adhesives at this point and all exterior plywood and composite boards use phenolic adhesives or some equivalent water resistant glues that meet or are exempted from most emissions standards. As for standards they used to be voluntary but we now have what I call the OBAMA standard (he signed it) which is a law and has resulted in the NAUF designation which unfortunately doesn’t cover all products – so most of it is still voluntary. We also have californa CARB regulations pushing manufacturers.

You do have to be extremely careful in what you purchase from any yard as we are being dumped on with low quality (unfortunately mostly Chinese) products. Home depot is especially bad for unregulated products that are not domestic and not subject to any requirements and can’t be researched. Prior to purchasing from a local supplier I get the name of the mill and then get an msds or product sheet from the mill – even mills are importing and then putting their own name on the product (the woods are thick with thieves)

You can actually eliminate fasteners from the foam and the furring strips using foam adhesive and I think you will get better performance under wind loading (the bond strength of a foam adhesive – wood to foam in a squiggle pattern or on 16” centers would exceed screws. Similarly the bond of a glued 1x3 furring spaced 16 or 24” to foam  would meet the loading criteria of the heaviest siding. Foam will not sag or creep unless subjected to loads of over 50% of its compressive strength (about 700lbs per square foot). Figure out the siding load, adhesive bond area and go from there for spacing of furring. Occasional screw or nail to hold things in place while the foam glue sets.  I am a traditional carpenter and love fasteners but also traditional enough to want to eliminate them when not needed.