[Greenbuilding] (not) Re: Outgassing of Sheathing & Insulationfasteners

Eli Talking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Thu Nov 29 09:00:38 CST 2012

Thanks so much for the great response to my inquiry.

I did design a double stud wall similar to Rob Tom's description in 2008.
So far, the clients are happy with the result.  As is sadly the case, often
new details are hard to achieve with subcontractors that are old school.  In
my design, we built a conventional structural 2x4 wall and roof truss
framing.  I then located another non structural 2x4 wall to create 12" wall
with 6" space between inner most surface of studs.  I left the cavity open
at the truss so that loose fill insulation in wass could be continuous with
loose fill insulation in attic.  I was hoping to install cellulose extra
thick over the walls to allow for settling without creating a gap. My
clients were owner builders and were highly motivated.  However, insulation
contractor convinced them that the weight of cellulose would blow out the
wall paneling.  Therefore, the settled for full thickness of fiberglass.  I
am certain they did as good a job as was possible to fill in all voids.
However, they included the classic flaws of holes in the drywall for
switches, receptacles and plumbing.  At recently as 2008, I was not fully
aware of the importance of air sealing.  Likely the building wrap was
installed months before siding went up and was not taped.  This house also
featured a suspended concrete slab that works great for tempering the swings
in the house.  However, the lack of an affective continuous air barrier
likely allows passive draft into the house.  Since we did not install active
fresh air ventilation and they have not complained about being stuffy,
indicates there is typical draft that I want to avoid.  Yes, these issues
can be addressed with greater awareness of continuous air barrier.  Wires
and recepticles could be kept out of wall.  Drywall and building wrap could
be managed more carefully to achieve continuity.  However, there are plenty
of opportunities for imperfection.  I can appreciate the organic source for
the cellulose as opposed to plast-ecchhh! as you call it.  However, the
strong benefit of foam insulation is that it is a thick air barrier that
maintains a surface temperature near the air temperature on both sides of
the thermal insulation.  Therefore, when the heat flow reverses from summer
the winter, the warm side is always close to air temp, affectively avoiding
condensation threats.  Outside mounting allows affective continuity like the
drink ice cooler that avoids sweat on hot humid day by achieving exterior
surface temp near ambient. The furring strips are the material alternative
to second stud wall.

John Straub, thank you so much for your information.  It is reassuring to
hear your support for this approach.  When we seek to improve upon common
practice, we are taking a risk.  Your experience is very valuable.  I
appreciate your willingness to share and promote what you have found to be
good practice and make us aware of the failures you have discovered.  I have
your book.

John Salmon, I will be studying your comments to evaluate the different
outgassing certification programs for sheathing.  I will also study the
potential for adhesives as a supplement or alternative to mechanical
fasteners.

Eli
www.conservationarchitect.net