[Greenbuilding] dynamic benefit of massive systems

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Thu Nov 29 10:00:31 CST 2012

I came across a claim that a 12" thick AAC block wall achieves R-22 (more
than double the rated per unit R-value of the material itself) in the
Washington, DC climate, apparently based on DBMS--the Dynamic Benefit of
Massive Systems.  Having cut my builder's eyeteeth laying adobe bricks in
northern New Mexico, I am familiar with the concept of the flywheel
effect.  I am also vaguely acquainted with some study done at the Oak Ridge
lab on this notion.

still, I am skeptical of the claim mentioned above, and would not want to
count on it for the not unusual three weeks of late January when the
daytime temp never gets out of the 20's

...am I alone?

see:

*http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/16482788/358061318/name/AACthermal.pdf*
**
AA

Alan Abrams*
**certifed professional building designer, AIBD
certified passive house consultant, PHIUS**
**Abrams Design Build LLC*
*sustainable design for intentional living*
6411 Orchard Avenue Suite 102
Takoma Park, MD 20912
office  301-270-NET- ZERO (301-270-6380)
fax      301-270-1466
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
www.abramsdesignbuild.com