[Greenbuilding] dynamic benefit of massive systems

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Nov 29 15:37:15 CST 2012

n Thu, 29 Nov 2012 11:00:31 -0500, Alan Abrams
<alan at abramsdesignbuild.com> wrote:

> I came across a claim that a 12" thick AAC block wall achieves R-22

> still, I am skeptical of the claim mentioned above, and would not want to
> count on it for the not unusual three weeks of late January when the
> daytime temp never gets out of the 20's

I'd suggest a small wager:

Two small structures constructed of block in a location where the
temperatures drop to minus 40 for a week or more -- both with small,
equal-sized, equator-facing windows, window night insulation and a 60 watt
incandescent light bulb . No auxiliary heating appliance.

Building "A" would be made of 12" thick AAC block and "Building B" would
be made of plain, solid 8" CMU and outsulated to R-22 (or whatever R-value
the incremental cost of AAC over plain CMUs would provide).

The person making the R-22 claim for the AAC block would occupy Building A
and AA-man would occupy Building B.

Both would be provided with identical garments.

I'm accepting bets on which of the two would have been the most
comfortable during the occupancy period.

My guess is that AA-man would emerge with a glass of single malt in one
hand, a ukelele in the other and a smile on his face ... and the other
person would be huddled in the corner with the 60 watt bulb stuffed down
their pants and muttering something about nuts on iron bridges and brass
monkeys.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")