[Greenbuilding] Hydroxyl radical air cleaning devices

Reibstein, Rick (ENV) rick.reibstein at state.ma.us
Mon Oct 1 10:22:24 CDT 2012

There are companies selling units that claim to clean the air through the generation of hydroxyl ions.  I believe they are sometimes termed photocatalytic oxidation air cleaners.  They are used for odor removal but also claims are being made that they destroy mold, bacteria, viruses.  Is anyone aware of whether FIFRA registration has been obtained (or is necessary, I would think it would be, if you make claims of killing pests), or if reliable assessments have been performed of these devices, or if the OH ions are indeed safe and effective?  See, for example, http://www.hgiind.com/

Any leads appreciated.

Rick Reibstein
Manager, Outreach and Policy
Office of Technical Assistance and Technology
Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
100 Cambridge St., 9th Floor
Boston, MA 02114
617 626 1062