[Greenbuilding] Hydroxyl radical air cleaning devices

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Mon Oct 1 11:30:34 CDT 2012

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:22:24 -0400, Reibstein, Rick (ENV)
<rick.reibstein at state.ma.us> wrote:

[snip]
> Is anyone aware of whether FIFRA registration has been obtained (or is
> necessary, I would think it would be, if you make claims of killing
> pests), or if reliable assessments have been performed of these devices,
> or if the OH ions are indeed safe and effective?  See, for example,
> http://www.hgiind.com/
>
> Any leads appreciated.
>
> Rick Reibstein
> Manager, Outreach and Policy
> Office of Technical Assistance and Technology
> Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs
> Commonwealth of Massachusetts

I seem to have  vague recollection (okay,okay... everything is "vague" in
my noggin these days) of Don Fugler (formerly a Senior Researcher/IAQ
ex-splurt at CMHC) having a perturbed bee in his bonnet about the
"healthfulness" claims made by the purveyors of negative ion generators
back in the 1990s.

Unfortunately, I can't recall any of the specifics of what it was about
those claims that made him crazy.

What I do remember though is one fine Autumn morning, walking through some
woods with Don and being impressed by his ability to use his head as a
percussion instrument.

Then again, my wonky memory may have it all wrong and negative ion
generators may have been "two thumbs up" with Don.

( I've copied the former Fungal Fun-guy on this message with the intention
that he'll get miffed at my misrepresentations/manglings of the facts and
briefly emerge from retirement (and his new hobby of re-moulding the
minds/vocabularies of pre-schoolers) to set things aright.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")