[Greenbuilding] http://www.slic-homes.com/

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 16:07:19 CDT 2012

A fireplace is not the same thing as a good wood stove. I heat with wood in
a wood stove in town (in one of the densest zip codes in Oregon). My
neighbors weren't into it when I started because I had
> a leaky brick chimney
> occasionally wet wood
> was not very practiced making fires
> no insulation in walls or floor

but once I fixed all those things
> metalbestos flue replaced brick chimney
> only burn dry wood
> got good with the short hot fires
> insulation throughout

my neighbors are fine with it and I achieve the no-visible-smoke objective
within about 15 minutes of starting my once-a-day fire. Wood stoves are
just the thing. Calling natural gas clean burning is really not an accurate
statement if we take into consideration what is required to find, extract,
& transport the fuel.