[Greenbuilding] http://www.slic-homes.com/

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Mon Oct 1 10:57:41 CDT 2012

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 23:54:48 -0400, Benjamin Pratt
<benjamin.g.pratt at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a local startup I'm visiting tomorrow. What do you think?
> http://www.slic-homes.com/

While I like the Green potential of modular home construction, there are
also far too many modular home builders who churn out
built-to-Code-minimums tornado-bait that ends up in the same depreciation
heap as the ubiquitous SUVs that the NA Big Three automakers were churning
out in the part of this millennium.

Further, there are no shortage of modular home builders offering Modernist
boxes these days, many with the same shortcomings as the Modernist boxes
that were built by the original Modernists of the early 1900's a century
ago. (ie no acknowledgement/addressing of local issues WRT climate, for
one)

Further, a common theme that seems to run through the purveyors of modular
Modernist boxes these days are the claims that their product is
"eco-friendly", with generous sprinklings of trendy catch-words like
"natural", "sustainable" etc in their promos.

ie  some MooseHugger versions:
		http://bonnevillehomes.com/our-houses/natur-a-49
		http://karoleena.com/

About "Slic Homes" in particular, my first impression of the images
presented at their web-site was that it was a student project based on a
shipping container. Unfortunately there didn't seem to be much in the way
of details available at the website to dis-spell that impression.

OTOH, in this neck of the woods, there are a number of modular home
manufacturers who had been offering homes that met or exceeded the Super E
or R-2000 performance standards since the latter part of the previous
millennium.

http://dac.ca/superE.html
http://www.guildcrest.com/green.php

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")