[Greenbuilding] Fireplace options

Kirsten Flynn kf at declan.com
Tue Oct 2 13:49:27 CDT 2012

Hi everyone,

I have mostly been lurking on the list, I am a green interior designer, so don't always come across issues of building science.   Now I do have a question I think the combined wisdom of this list could help me with.

In my region, most municipalities ban wood fireplaces in new construction. I usually recommend that folks that have an existing convert to a good quality gas insert, they burn cleaner and give the hearth feeling in the winter.  In our climate (SF bay area) we are very temperate, and don't need heating.  I live on the San Francisco Peninsula, which is very population dense, and does have air pollution issues on occasion.

I have a client that has a 1950's house, and wants to keep her fireplace.  She is very green, but is very opposed to fossil fuel use.  She would like a solution for occasional heating that is not dependent on natural gas, but she IS concerned about particulate pollution.  What should I tell her, I am not as up on EPA rated wood burning inserts as I should be.

If I need to convince her not to be so attached to the wood burning option, she is intelligent and interested, I am happy to do so, but I want to know what the best options are.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Kirsten Flynn
Designer
Sustainable Home