[Greenbuilding] Fireplace options

Jason Holstine jason at amicusgreen.com
Tue Oct 2 17:47:26 CDT 2012

>From a true-sustainable emboddied energy perspective, I would submit that a
wood burning stove is likely superior to a gas insert. If you are burning
local woods‹especially from urban surplus (storm damaged trees,
deconstruction, etc.)--then it is effectively carbon neutral and doesn¹t
have the ghosts of the fossil gas. There have to be some good sources of
local surplus woods in the Berkeley area, Sausalito, Napa, etc, etc.

There are a couple of European brands, such as RAIS from Norway, that are
very efficient and thus burn clean‹they minimize the PM emissions. However,
they create a TON of BTUs (heat). Maybe they would be overkill if she really
doesn¹t want heat as much as prettiness. Or, maybe she¹d see how effective
and efficient it is at keeping them cozy without their ³other² heating
source and would switch to use it as their primary or more-often heat
source.