[Greenbuilding] Hydroxyl radical air cleaning devices

Don Lush donlush at uniserve.com
Wed Oct 3 11:09:41 CDT 2012

Rick- I would be very suspicious of the claims as you watch the video.
Specifically the hydroxyl radicals are claimed to

1.       Be safe gentle and effective - they are anything but safe and
gentle - they are extremely reactive oxidizing agents ( making other
oxidizers like chlorine gas seem gentle) Their only saving grace from a
health perspective is that they are so reactive that they do not last long
enough to enter lung tissue reacting with anything they come in contact
with.

2.       The video claims that they destroy things like arsenic -  making
claims like destroying elements such as arsenic may sound good but this
would be transmutation  and as far as I know only happens through natural
radioactive decay or in nuclear reactions.

3.       They claim the reaction byproducts are safe- I would ask for proof
of this as it is common for reaction by products to be more toxic than the
parent compound

It is appropriate to be suspicious and cautious

Don