[Greenbuilding] Hydroxyl radical air cleaning devices

Reibstein, Rick (ENV) rick.reibstein at state.ma.us
Wed Oct 3 11:18:51 CDT 2012

Thank you - just got off the phone with California Air Resources Board.  They are in the middle of a study of these units which will take a couple of years.  The representative I spoke to said that like ozone these may be effective with odor control if they are cranked up to really high levels - but that makes them quite dangerous to people.  CA has an exemption in their law for use of ozone-generating air cleaners in hotels, where odor control is critical, but it is required to have no one around when you do it.  These are probably similar.  They have a similar mechanism - a highly reactive airborne molecule.  CARB does not police claims of killing bacteria, viruses but has made referrals to EPA and FDA.  Some of the companies selling these products may not realize they need to have FIFRA registration when they make pesticidal claims, and to have FDA approval for medical technologies.  They may also not realize what big fines they could get.

That's a good point you make about arsenic!