[Greenbuilding] heat pump tech

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 16 01:06:52 CDT 2012

I want to switch this thread to heat pumps in general. The basic question is
why don't we see more small pump applications out there and why does this
one even exist?

Paul invested in one of the best products out there that I am actually
surprised is still around.
Nyle developed the product at a point where the US was actually providing
rebates for products that made them affordable depending on state rebates.?.
Based on that and a nerd sensibility in small companies that had faith in
governance -  Nyle and a few other small companies wasted time developing
products for a market that did not emerge.

 I think about 2-3 other companies produced comparable add-on products
(small air to water heat pumps or small heat pumps that could be attached to
a domestic water heater). I think 2 large companies produced an integrated
tank and heat pump and they may still be out there. The product is basically
not supported.

When I researched it the nyle was my product of choice but that is an
anecdotal choice based on conversations with the people that designed it -
small company with good people on air skills looking to diverse.

The thing was is that a heat pump addon to a hot water heater could save
money for a large laundry family but why would that family spend an extra 1k
on that when they can barely afford the house as a shell?

We need continued subsidized programs that continue to inspire and support
the companies out there that go beyond the basic marketplace.