[Greenbuilding] Nyle Geyser HPWH - Preliminary Results (was HEAT PUMP WATER HEATER)

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Tue Oct 16 16:10:34 CDT 2012

> Now here's where you lose me:  "Much of that 4.35 kWh ends up as heat from the machine which might end up back in the living space (or not).
> How much isn't clear, but it seems unlikely it is ALL of it."
>
> OK, if it didn't go into the living space, where exactly did it go?  It couldn't have gone into the tank because we've already accounted for those 10 kWh.  It seems to me that we're up against that "neither created nor destroyed" thing-o-bobby, n'est-ce pas?

I don't know the details of the system, so I can't really say.

> So, in the scenario that I described earlier, have I or have I not theoretically consumed 6.44 kWh
 > to satisfy that 10 kWh of DHW demand and maintained the conditioned
space at its set temperature?
 > If I'm my logic is faulty or my calculations are incorrect then, by
all means, let's set the record
 > straight.

Consume is the wrong word, as you say energy isn't created or destroyed.

You have used 4.35 kWh of electricity to move 10 kWh of heat from your
living space to your water tank.  Total energy 14.35 kwh for a 10kWh
water heating demand.  The rest ended up somewhere (some of it no doubt
back in the living space).

Then you used some amount to move some amount heat from outside to your
living space to make up the heat loss.  All those are unknowns (to me at
least).  To say more we need to know more.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap