[Greenbuilding] Nyle Geyser HPWH - Preliminary Results (was HEAT PUMP WATER HEATER)

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 16 16:55:40 CDT 2012

So, if I've got this right, you're saying that we would require 14.35
kWh of energy to satisfy this 10 kWh of water heating demand but, beyond
that, we would need an additional but as yet indeterminate amount of
energy for the ductless heat pump to replace the heat that had been
removed from the conditioned space?  So, in all, we might require
somewhere between15 and 20 kWh of energy, say, to accomplish what a
conventional electric water heater can do for us with ten?

Just to recap, in the scenario that I described, I said that the COP of
the Nyle HPWH is 2.3, and that of the ductless heat pump 2.7.

Cheers,
Paul

----- Quote -----

Consume is the wrong word, as you say energy isn't created or destroyed.

You have used 4.35 kWh of electricity to move 10 kWh of heat from your
living space to your water tank.  Total energy 14.35 kwh for a 10kWh
water heating demand.  The rest ended up somewhere (some of it no doubt
back in the living space).

Then you used some amount to move some amount heat from outside to your
living space to make up the heat loss.  All those are unknowns (to me at
least).  To say more we need to know more.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn