[Greenbuilding] Nyle Geyser HPWH - Preliminary Results (was HEAT PUMP WATER HEATER)

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 16 22:18:16 CDT 2012

Well, actually, I am paying for it, but that's OK and here's why: over
the past 24-hours, and with two back-to-back showers under its belt, our
Nyle ran for two hours and twenty-seven minutes before shutting off and
consumed a grand total of 1.23 kWh (see:
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69/HereinHalifax/HPWH-Day2.jpg). It
also did double duty as a dehumidifier.  Now, at roughly 550-watts, our
regular dehumidifier is one of our home's major power guzzlers and
offsetting two hours and twenty-seven minutes of its runtime saves me
1.35 kWh.  At this point, I'm 0.12 kWh to the better, but from this I'll
subtract the 0.54 kWh consumed by our lower level ductless heat pump, so
that leaves me with a balance owing of 0.42 kWh.  And at 13.3-cents per
kWh, that puts our water heating costs for the past 24-hours at less
than 6-cents.  Somehow, I'll live with the pain [throws back of hand to
forehead and faints].

Cheers,
Paul

----- Quote -----

>/  On 10/16/2012 5:55 PM, Paul Eldridge wrote:
/>>/  So, if I've got this right, you're saying that we would require 14.35
/>>/  kWh of energy to satisfy this 10 kWh of water heating demand but, beyond
/>>/  that, we would need an additional but as yet indeterminate amount of
/>>/  energy for the ductless heat pump to replace the heat that had been
/>>/  removed from the conditioned space?  So, in all, we might require
/>>/  somewhere between 15 and 20 kWh of energy, say, to accomplish what a
/>>/  conventional electric water heater can do for us with ten?
/>/
/>/  Yes basically.  Aren't you glad you aren't PAYING for it all.
/>/
/>/
/>/  Thank You Kindly,
/>/