[Greenbuilding] best low gpf toilet these days?

Chris Koehn chris at koehn.com
Sat Sep 8 15:12:13 CDT 2012

We have a Toto Aquia two piece, installed (by me) in 2007. This toilet has the separate PVC rough in kit that attaches to the floor flange.  Earlier this year it began leaking between the vitreous outlet tube and the PVC rough in kit. The leak went undetected for quite a while as there's no way to visually inspect this connection.  Couldn't figure out where the odour was coming from and blamed it on bad aim on the part of our two boys. Until I removed the toilet in desperation and discovered the leak. Toto service had no advice for me. They had me double-check all of the installation dimensions and requirements and they were "perfect".

The Vitreous tube, which is unglazed, passes through a rubber gasket. Enough waste was making it's way around the gasket upon flushing to be problematic.
I ended up coating the unglazed tube with several coats of a brush-on liquid rubber product (designed to act as wire insulation), which increased it's o.d. and give it a non-porous surface for the gasket to seal against. Coating it further with waterproof grease created a non-permanent seal. All's well after 3 months and fingers crossed.
It's an odd design and perhaps they've improved upon it subsequently. It's too bad as there's lots to like about this toilet, although I would buy a one-piece if I had it to do over.

Chris
TimberGuides
Vancouver Island