[Greenbuilding] size of award winning houses

Sacie Lambertson sacie.lambertson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 16:37:17 CDT 2013

Seeing Alan's query about mass, reminded my of my disgust in reading about
the cost of one of the recipients of AIA's top ten green awards, a house in
Venice CA which measures 3800 sq ft and cost well over $1.5 million to
build.  Not only is this an outsized cost for a green house but if you look
at the place on its lot you can see it is far more than twice the size of
its neighbors, who must be most happy about that.  (Of course it could cost
$1 mil, just to buy a lot in Venice).

http://www.buildinggreen.com/auth/article.cfm/2013/4/22/New-Top-Ten-Plus-Award-Crowns-AIA-s-2013-Green-Projects/?utm_source=BuildingGreen.com+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=c56441dc0b-BGB_2013_04_224_22_2013&utm_medium=email&mc_cid=c56441dc0b&mc_eid=94d551ef67

The article in Building Green says the cost of this 'Yin Yang' house was
justified thusly:

* The owner and designers chose both materials and technologies based on a
50-year anticipated time before major renovations, which justified
significant investments in quality and efficiency. *

What superb rationalization.

Compare this house to another award winning one: 'A New Norris' house,
reported to be 'tiny' by the article.

Honest to Pete.

Sacie