[Greenbuilding] basement daylighting

Brian Milani bmilani at web.ca
Sat Aug 3 12:39:29 CDT 2013

Hello All,

We will be working on a nice basement exercise/meditation room with only
two small windows.
What's worse is that one of the windows opens to the crawl space of the
front porch.
We need to replace this rotting porch and would like to find some way of
building it to allow daylight to get to the basement window below.

Some have suggested putting a big grate in the porch deck.  Others have
suggested tempered glass or plexiglass.  Others have suggested something
like a light tube or an updated version of a deck prism. The porch is
covered but exposed to the elements.

Any suggestions?   Thanks.

           yours,
           Brian M., Toronto