[Greenbuilding] basement daylighting

Topher topher at greenfret.com
Sat Aug 3 16:59:21 CDT 2013

On 8/3/2013 1:39 PM, Brian Milani wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> We will be working on a nice basement exercise/meditation room with
> only two small windows.
> What's worse is that one of the windows opens to the crawl space of
> the front porch.
> We need to replace this rotting porch and would like to find some way
> of building it to allow daylight to get to the basement window below.
>
> Some have suggested putting a big grate in the porch deck.  Others
> have suggested tempered glass or plexiglass.  Others have suggested
> something like a light tube or an updated version of a deck prism. The
> porch is covered but exposed to the elements.

I recently saw a Passivhaus home up in snow country which had a grate on
the porch, under the drip edge of the roof.  I thought it was a cool
detail.  Many ski resorts have that sort of thing to encourage snow off
the boots, in the place of doormats.

I like the idea of deck prism, but they are designed to put a bit of
light in the area, you would want all the light to be directed through
the window, so some redesigning would be necessary. Manufacturing that
(as a one-off) might be costly.  I have seen a solar powered 'glass' 3D
printer, but it was not making clear glass.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap