[Greenbuilding] drilling oversized holes for blowing in cellulose insulation - how much?

George J. Nesbitt george at houseisasystem.com
Sat Aug 17 13:31:31 CDT 2013

     I normally drill a 2-1/2" hole, mainly because I used a 1-1/2" i.d.
standard flex hose, and to make a turn in a 2x4 wall with stucco and
7/8" sheathing that's what it took. A smaller o.d. hose, thiner wall
surface, or a thicker cavity, would allow a smaller hole and still be
able to make the turn without kinking the hose.
     No matter what size hole you want to cover the gap between the hose
and hole with your hand, a rag, or a sponge, to reduce dust.

On 8/17/2013 10:10 AM, Reuben Deumling wrote:
> I have a 1-5/8" flexible vinyl piece of hose at the end of my blower,
> and am using a 2" hole saw. That leaves plenty of gap for the air in
> the cavity to escape. But is that considered too much? I was thinking
> of picking up a 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" hole saw to round out my options.
> I'm sure folks here have opinions.
>
> Thanks.

George J. Nesbitt, Environmental Design / Build, Building Performance
Contractor, HERS I Verifier & HERS II Rater, GreenPoint Rater new &
existing SF & MF, CABEC CEPE (Certified Energy Plans Examiner),
Certified Passive House Consultant, BPI Multifamily Analyst,
www.houseisasystem.com, (510) 655-8532 office, (510) 984-8344 mobile