[Greenbuilding] sound caulk recommendations.

Benjamin Pratt benjamin.g.pratt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 01:14:20 CDT 2013

I want to caulk around the (numerous) recessed fixtures in my basement to
help prevent sound transmission. Obviously, i will take the trim rings off
and caulk between the metal cans and the sheetrock.
   I bought some acoustical caulk today and opened up the tube to reveal
black sticky messy stuff. Is there anything out there that is relatively
inexpensive won't shrink, and can take heat (if future owner puts in
incandescents instead of the CFL's I'm using)? My local big box only
carries the black messy stuff, but I can try another store.
Thanks