[Greenbuilding] Get a puppy and help save the environment!

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Wed Aug 21 05:03:25 CDT 2013

don't get me started...computers and software don't become obsolete--they
become incompatible as any one element fails.  then the rat race commences.
 I've spent thousands replacing computers that would not run new software,
or software that would not run on new computers.  I had an HP 430 design
jet that promised to function until sea level rise floods my office--but I
could not it to run with progressively newer materials.  it's replaced by a
plotter twice its size, and not a wit faster or more precise.  I finally
through in the towel and replaced ACAD 2000, a victim of windows 7, with
ACAD 2013.  Ka-ching.

we started heading south with useless crap like microsoft's Mr Paperclip.
 Useless feature upon feature, wrecking what was just plain good,
functional word processing and data management (spreadsheets and
databases)--which peaked in the late 80's.  ACAD 98 suited all my needs for
2-d drafting.

what's the point?  why has someone has not stepped into the breach to
produce a system of computers and software for basic functions, with a
commitment to longevity, consistency, and compatibility?  you'd think the
business community would embrace that and make whoever accomplished that
very wealthy.

ARRRGGHHH...nothing like starting the day with a good rant!

AA

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM, Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 6:33 PM, sanjay jain <sanjayjainuk at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:
>
>> With Windows XP becoming obsolete soon, millions of computers are going
>> to be replaced unnecessarily.
>>

> Can you explain? I've always made do with used, hand-me-down or
> craigslist-sourced computers and have never to my knowledge discarded one
> because a software program became obsolete. Other unfortunate and almost
> certainly unnecessary product life shortening occurrences precipitated
> computer replacements, but they were in all cases hardware related (I
> think). Am I missing something?

Alan Abrams*
**certified professional building designer, AIBD
certified passive house consultant, PHIUS*
*certified passive house builder, PHIUS**
*Abrams Design Build LLC
*sustainable design for intentional living*
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
www.abramsdesignbuild.com