[Greenbuilding] Get a puppy and help save the environment!

John O'Brien john at boardom.ca
Wed Aug 21 06:36:50 CDT 2013

what's the point?  why has someone has not stepped into the breach to
> produce a system of computers and software for basic functions, with a
> commitment to longevity, consistency, and compatibility?  you'd think the
> business community would embrace that and make whoever accomplished that
> very wealthy.

Alan,

I am guessing you have never had the pleasure of using one of the
unix/linux/bsd operating systems. These opensource operating systems &
software will meet pretty much all of your needs, barring a few
exceptions that seem to be only developed for the latest and greatest
windows OS.

Mind you, you wont get any Mr. Clippy's.

Check out Ubuntu for a very simple introduction to linux (well
supported OS with simple install), and then OpenOffice for all your
word smithing needs.

At some point, if you really get bored, go check out openBSD, and see
if you can install it on a toaster you have laying around. I hear its
possible. ;)