[Greenbuilding] Get a puppy and help save the environment!

sanjay jain sanjayjainuk at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 21 08:54:38 CDT 2013

> Can you explain? I've always made do with used, hand-me-down or craigslist-sourced computers and have never to my knowledge discarded one because a software program became obsolete. Other unfortunate and almost certainly unnecessary product life shortening occurrences precipitated computer replacements, but they were in all cases hardware related (I think). Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing a big part of the picture. Most computers are replaced not due to any faulty part, but software issues (Alan's complaint about incompatibility is essentially a software issue).
A lot of people on Craigslist/ebay are selling "refurbished" computers - that simply meant the OS was reinstalled. I don't even buy second hand, all my equipment is from people dumping stuff at eCycling events.

Two words to get Alan ranting again: Planned Obselence

~sanjay