[Greenbuilding] passive haus article

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 21 10:04:58 CDT 2013

I used to use 6" foam (but as part of a foam on grade layout with no slab).
It seemed to be that part of the curve where added resistance flattened out
with additional thickness (actually about 4" with minimal benefit to 6" then
negligible).  Foam slabs at 6" are nice to handle (lay flat and effectively
bridge an uneven gravel or sand base). Also seemed less potential for
vibration over time causing shifts in the sub base.  Since then have cut
back to 4" with better specs for how the subbase is prepared. 4" can still
span about 16" (if needed).

It is funny how materials get used excessively based on what we think they
are doing as opposed to how they work - most footings can easily be 4" x 14"
- most concrete walls could be reduced significantly with proper
reinforcement design. I would happily eliminate concrete in a foundation
entirely and float a building on foam - seismically much more responsive.
Unfortunately eng working in geofoam applications are not too interested in
simple residential.