[Greenbuilding] sub-grade heat loss was passive haus article

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Thu Aug 22 09:15:10 CDT 2013

"Nature and nature's laws lay hid in night;
God said "Let Staube be" and all was light."

(with apologies to Alexander Pope, regarding his epitaph of Isaac Newton)

-AA

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM, John Straube <jfstraube at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, a completely reliable statement.  "Heat flows through a material at a
> rate based only on the temperature difference and the thermal resistance of
> the intervening layer"
>  (unless we are talking about dynamic conditions like an above grade wall
> or roof exposed to significant temperature changes on a hourly basis where
> mass/heat capacity begins to have an effect, albeit usually a small one).
>
> On 2013-08-22, at 8:41 AM, Alan Abrams <alan at abramsdesignbuild.com> wrote:
>
> > so John, are you saying that when measuring heat flow from one mass to
> another, it does not matter what the density of the cooler mass is, and
> that the only thing of significance is the difference in temperature?
> >
> > -Grasshopper
> >

> John Straube
> www.JohnStraube.com

Alan Abrams*
**certified professional building designer, AIBD
certified passive house consultant, PHIUS*
*certified passive house builder, PHIUS**
*Abrams Design Build LLC
*sustainable design for intentional living*
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
www.abramsdesignbuild.com