[Greenbuilding] heating DHW directly with wood

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 20:45:53 CST 2013

Growing up in Germany some houses featured simple wood-fired water heaters
indoors. Micro-sized fireboxes mounted beneath a (by US-standards very
modestly sized) storage tank with a chimney out the top. These were
typically located in the bathroom, sometimes even right above the bathtub.
I've long been tempted to build something like this. I have plenty of spare
water heaters and stove pipe.

Thoughts? Ideas? Experience with this sort of thing? What to use for a
firebox? I'd love to re-appropriate something along the lines of the cast
iron portions of older water heaters, but the space requirements probably
dictate something slightly larger.

Does anyone have experience with this AquaFire model?
http://www.transoceanltd.com/appliances/aquafire.html

Thanks very much.